“I have been bullied my whole life.
During elementary school, people hated and abused me although I did not do anything wrong. I did not have any friends.
In Junior high, my family moved to another city. It seemed like the opportunity for a fresh start. I met a new guy and some new friends, but this guy I met asked me to do things I couldn’t do, and when I said ‘no,’ he started spreading false rumors about me.
I was alone, again. I started to do awful things to myself… I started cutting myself. It was the hardest period in my life. It was so hard that I almost committed suicide.
And then I heard about the Butterfly Project.”
This is the story of Kim, one of the many teenagers that suffer from bullies, and in order to deal with the pain, they hurt themselves. Those teenagers need to know that they are not alone and that they have somewhere to go for support. You might be surprised, but kids in Israel are just like other kids all over the world, and we also deal with everyday struggles and dilemmas.
That is why “the Butterfly Project” had been created. It is a kind of game that is played in internet forums. So, how do you play?
1. When you feel like you want to cut yourself, take a marker or a pen and draw a butterfly on your wrist, arm or hand.
2. Name the butterfly after a loved one, or someone that really wants you to get better.
3. You must let the butterfly fade naturally. DO NOT scrub it off!
4 .If you cut yourself before the butterfly is gone, you’ve killed it. As long as you do not cut, it lives.
5. If you have more than one butterfly, cutting kills all of them.
6. Another person may draw them on you. These butterflies are extra special. Take good care of them.
7. Even if you do not cut, feel free to draw the butterflies anyway, to show your support. If you do this, name it after someone who cuts or is suffering right now and tell him or her. It could help.
This project helps so many teenagers to change their lives and stop cutting themselves.
Here’s what Kim said after trying the project: “I heard about the project and realized I am not alone. I tried to quit. It was hard and I killed about 50 butterflies until I succeeded. I have changed my life, and I helped some girls like me and stop them from committing suicide. It was the most wonderful feeling. Suddenly, my life started to get better: I have a boyfriend now and I am finally happy.”
So, if you had read this article and realized how important this project is, share it! The goal is to help as many teenagers as we can, all over the world, turn their lives around, and finally be happy.